Friday, July 9, 2010

Muscade, rue de Montpensier.


Searching for a quiet “dejeuner” near the Palais Royal, I entered Muscade located on the rue de Montpensier. It offered a quiet retreat, complete with a copper topped bar and tables and black upholstered chairs. The floor to ceiling windows opened to the courtyard of the Palais Royal. A relaxed yet elegant setting. While there were tables outside in the courtyard, it rained earlier and the wet sand was unappealing. I returned to gazing out the windows and enjoying the music when “It’s a Heat Wave” entered the room followed by commercials. A bit of a blip…. I ordered a “salade composee” consisting of lettuce, a poached egg, artichokes and feta. While the egg was cooked to perfection, the rest was lackluster and too heavily dressed. The menu was overpriced (my “salade” was 13.50e), but given the view this was easily forgiven. All was well until I asked, “Ou est la toilette?” and was pleased to hear that it was not located “en bas.” Most toilets in Paris cafes and restaurants require a journey to the basement. I wasn’t sure about the pipe jutting from the wall, however, but since I didn’t spot a faucet I pushed. No water, but I didn’t dare ask for assistance. Outside, I plopped down on the sidewalk to make a few notes. The cook, on a smoke break, asked, “Did you enjoy your lunch?” “It was very nice,” I replied. Perhaps he suspected a blog post. Next time, I will have to swap my index cards for electronic notes. Then he will never suspect.

Muscade, 36 rue de Montpensier. [1e]
www.muscade-palais-royal.com
01 42 97 51 36
Métro : Pyramides

No comments:

Post a Comment