Thursday, July 15, 2010

Flea Market Finds: Porte de Vanves.


Looking for bargains. Head out on Saturday or Sunday morning to the weekly flea market at Portes de Vanves. Right around the corner from the metro stop, it spans two streets. I arrived early either hoping for a bargain or to beat the crowds. Albeit, I am not an ardent flea market shopper, but I am curious. Crowds were light early in the morning. Scanning the first table, I noticed items as diverse as cigarette lighters, pens, pocketknives, watches and rosary beads. Buttons and pillboxes were also proudly featured. The French fascination with postcards was apparent: they were stacked, boxed, displayed in books and old wash bins. Book titles included “Les Plantes de Monde” and “Le Elephant de Mer,” loosely translated as “Plants of the World” and “Elephant of the Sea.” Not enough to intrigue me to open them. Lots of empty picture frames, some very interesting, to display your art treasures. Some jewelry, not always moderately priced. I looked at a ring priced at 590e. That one was protected behind glass. Another table included an affiche, “20e au choix,” meaning you had your choice of any item for only 20e. Unfortunately, old keys didn’t interest me. While I didn’t buy I’ve heard that bargaining is expected, and bring lots of cash, credit cards aren’t accepted.

Open Sat and Sun 7 am to 1 pm.
Metro: Portes de Vanves [14e].

No comments:

Post a Comment