Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Les Cocottes.

One of Christian Constant’s four restaurants located on rue Saint Dominique, Les Cocottes is a real treat. Serving traditional brasserie food, Les Cocottes is a more casual and reasonably priced option than Café Constant located on the same block. There was no wait when I arrived on Saturday afternoon for lunch. The décor was comfortable yet chic. Diners were seated at a long bar or high tables, both with stools. It’s perfect for parties of two or three. I was seated at the bar where I could view the cookbooks and cocottes for sale as well as the menu of the day written on a chalkboard. The wait staff was pleasant and amenable to speaking English. I wasn’t sure what a cocotte was, but I soon found out. My dinner arrived in one, a petite Dutch oven perfectly sized for one. I ordered the cod with potatoes and carrots. The waiter removed the cast iron lid and I gazed in amazement at the steaming dish below. Everything was perfectly prepared. The cod flaked easily; the carrots tenderly resisted the bite; the petite potatoes melted. The gravy or broth was absolutely delicious. All four slices of country bread and baguette scooped it up. The only morsel left unconsumed was the skin of the cod, which I nibbled and contemplated eating. I resisted the temptation however. I thought lunch was reasonably priced given the quality of the food, but it could become expensive if you add wine, salad and desert. I’ve heard the desserts are wonderful, but I indulged instead at the patisserie down the street. Lots of English is spoken here amidst French. Les Cocottes may attract tourists given that the Eiffel Tower is easily viewed. I dared to snap my camera after one bite of my cocotte hoping to go unnoticed by the wait staff and nearby diners. I did not wish to be charged with not observing French custom, which is to be completely present with your food. This was a meal to savor every moment.

Les Cocottes, 135 rue Saint Dominique. [7e.]
Metro: Pont de L’Alma
www.leviolondingres.com

1 comment:

  1. Your description of the meal mirrors the photograph taken. I will Google the restaurant and look at the menu. ZAGAT step aside!

    ReplyDelete